Zapco Z-SP Series. Super Power Amplifiers.
This series comes from the need to outfit cars that compete in the new category called "Street Challange" or "Street Demo". This is harder on the components and creates more heat than audiophile listening because they will be played full power, full time.
They need to produce the highest volume (Sound Pressure) possible while still maintaining clear sound. Not like audiophile listening so much as like a dance hall or rock concert.
The Z-Series SP amps were a chance to make a completely new project. To reach our goals we first developed a new forced air cooling system in a chassis with internal heat sink fins and fans to blow the heat off the chassis. Fans blow on to the fins to move air down the chassis, and the side vents down the side create turbulence that sends hot air out and cold air in along the whole length of the amp. This got us halfway there. Then we found a new space-age material, to insulate the output transistors, that can pull heat off devices much faster than the standard insulators. So now we could transfer the heat from the devices to the chassis faster than pull the heat off the chassis faster.
The result: We now had an amplifier that you can crank up to full volume and play that way all day long. And, with a few upgrades in circuitry that we made, you also get High Pass, Low Pass, and Band Pass crossovers, x10 Range Switch for accurate crossover frequency selection, Variable Sub Sonic filter using the bandpass, Variable Bass Boost, Variable Gain, Auxiliary RCA Output, Available Dash Remote.
In most amplifiers, all these preamp controls give you more versatility but they also rob you of signal quality. But in the Zapco Z-Series SP amps, even with crossovers and bass boost you get over 103dB signal to noise ratio, less than 0.1% THD, and greater than 60dB channel separation. And the SP amps get a 10% power gain from increased thermal efficiency that reduces the "de-rating" of the output devices.
A quick rundown of the SP amp's unique features:
• Cooling fans with thermal speed control
• Insulator with 70% less thermal resistance of MICA for faster heat transfer
• Proprietary RCA connectors with extra heavy plating soldered directly on the PCB
(Zapco design) with 6 ground lugs on each, for an absolutely secure mount
• Balanced and differential inputs with one-tenth the normal resistance
• New Op-amp with lower noise than even the current LX amps
• Bass Boost that is out of the circuit when set to 0
• Capacitors with lower internal resistance and lower inductance (only just now appearing in the LX amps)
• Fine adjustment for bias in each channel
• A custom plaque with model and serial number lets them know this amp is special
We sincerely hope you enjoy your new Z-Series SP amplifier as much as we
enjoyed the time we spent developing it.